North Lake Tapps County Park
About the Park
This popular swimming and boat launch area is located on the north side of Lake Tapps. A largely undeveloped 135 acre site with approximately 10,000 feet of waterfront access including a sandy swimming area. North Lake Tapps County Park offers spectacular views of Mount Rainier to the south and is a great place for kids and adults to swim.
The park has several amenities including:
- Barbecue grills
- Beach access
- Boat ramp
- Seasonal concession stand
- Picnic tables
During the summer months, come early on hot days and weekends. Parking is limited and the gates are closed to vehicles and boats when parking is full.
- Open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. from April through September.
- No new vehicles allowed to enter the park after 7 p.m. from April through September.
- Open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. from October through March.
- No entry after 3:30 p.m. October-March.
Normally the lake is not at full capacity until late May. Mid to late September the lake level will begin to lower a foot per day.
- The boat launch is now open as of April 9, 2018.
- The boat launch is closed November through March
The park is located at 2002 198th Avenue East, off of 12th Street East in Sumner. (map)
Directions From I-5
- Take exit 127 (Puyallup / Mt. Rainier) and head east to Highway 512
- Merge onto WA-167 North towards Seattle
- Take the Stewart Road / 8th Street East exit toward Pacific / Milton
- Turn east (right) onto 8th Street East / Stweart Road SW
- 8th Street East / Stewart Road SW becomes Lake Tapps Parkway East
- Lake Tapps Parkway East becomes 9th Street East
- Go approximately one block to entrance of park
- Take the 166th Avenue East exit and head north (left) on 166th
- Stay on Sumner Tapps Highway as it bends east (right) and turns into 16th Street East. Then it will bend north and turn into 182nd Avenue East
- Turn right on 9th Street East which bends gradually and turns into 12th Street East
- Turn right on 198th Avenue East and go approximately one block to park entrance