Sheriff Department Jobs (Civil Service)
Civil Service Application & Examination Process
The Pierce County Sheriff's Department is actively recruiting for Corrections Deputy and Deputy Sheriff. We anticipate a large number of retirements in the next couple of years, so if you are interested, please apply and test as soon as possible with National Testing Network.
- Please apply online at National Testing Network. Testing may be scheduled at any National Testing Network location.
- Applicants for Corrections Deputy and Deputy Sheriff are required to pass a video based scenario, reading and report writing examination and pass a physical fitness test through National Testing Network.
- Based upon the results of the National Testing Network scores, applicants will be ranked and placed on a civil service employment register. Applicants who rank high on the civil service register will be selected to undergo a comprehensive pre-employment background investigation.
- For minimum requirements to apply, background standards and additional information, please read the job announcement on the National Testing Network website.
Application Process for positions other than Corrections Deputy and Deputy Sheriff
- Applications are accepted online when there is an open recruitment announcement (See Pierce County Open Jobs).
- Only Pierce County online applications are accepted; resumes or other materials are not accepted in lieu of an application.
Civil Service Examination Process
- Examinations are required for all Sheriff’s Department positions.
- Examinations consist of written multiple choice examinations, performance examinations, a physical fitness examination or a combination of examinations.
- Applicants are ranked on an employment register based on their examination scores and referred for position vacancies as needed.
Hiring Standards & Background Investigation Process
- Applicants must meet Sheriff’s Department hiring standards and successfully complete the background investigation process.
- Failure to successfully complete any phase of the Sheriff’s Department hiring process is cause for removal from the employment register.