PIERCE COUNTY COURTS AND TACOMA MUNICIPAL COURT PRESS RELEASE
MARCH 11, 2020
Based on Governor Inslee’s press conference today, and after consultation with, Pierce County District Court, Tacoma Municipal Court and the Tacoma Pierce County Health Department, Pierce County Superior Court will implement the following changes in response to the COVID-19 risk. Beginning March 16, 2020, the number of jurors who are called will be reduced, and two jury orientation rooms will be provided to increase social distancing between jurors. In addition, jurors who meet any of the following criteria are excused from jury service:
- Chronic health conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes;
- Weakened immune system;
- Pregnant; or
- Sixty (60) years of age or older and you do not wish to report for jury duty.
If you meet these criteria and wish to be excused or postpone your service to a later time, please email jury administration at email@example.com.
Other than jurors, if you feel you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and feel you cannot make it at your scheduled court time, you must call the contact who subpoenaed you, or the court, using the contact information listed below:
- If you are currently in trial or scheduled for a hearing in front of a judge, contact the judicial assistant for that department.
- If you have a hearing set before the Commissioners, please contact the Commissioner Services Department at (253)798-6697.
- For all other criminal matters, contact Criminal Administration at (253)798-2988.
- For all matters at Remann Hall (Juvenile Court), please contact Juvenile Court Administration at (253)798-7900.
- For all matters at Western State Hospital, please contact the County Clerk’s Office at (253)756-2951.
- Jurors assigned to a department should call the number provided by the judicial assistant.
- Jurors not assigned to a department should call Jury Administration at (253)798-7782.
Contact by phone at (253)798-7487 or through “Live Chat” by visiting the District Court website.
TACOMA MUNICIPAL COURT
- Contact by phone at (253)591-5357
- Any changes to court hours or proceedings will be provided in future press releases. All press releases can be found on the court websites and on Pierce County social media sites.
- We continue to follow guidance from Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department (TPCHD) to help protect the public’s health. Employees and court participants should follow these recommendations while at the County-City Building, Remann Hall and Western State Hospital:
- Increase handwashing and use of alcohol-based sanitizer
- Respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette – cover a cough or a sneeze
- Keep distance from others (more than six feet, if possible)
- Frequently clean and disinfect surfaces
- Remain home during a respiratory illness
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department COVID-19
Pierce County Superior Court provides jury administration services for Pierce County District Court and Tacoma Municipal Court at the County-City Building.
Pierce County Superior Court is the second largest Superior Court in the State of Washington and is proud to serve the citizens and visitors of Pierce County. The Court is staffed with 22 Judges and 9 Commissioners. There are three sites where court is held; the County-City Building at 930 Tacoma Ave S., Tacoma, Remann Hall Juvenile Court at 5501 6th Ave., Tacoma, and Western State Hospital at 9601 Steilacoom Blvd. SW, Lakewood. For more information, please visit our website at http://co.pierce.wa.us/superiorcourt.
Pierce County District Court is the second largest District Court in the State of Washington and is proud to serve the citizens and visitors of Pierce County. The Court is staffed with 8 Judges and 103 court and probation employees. There are two sites where court activities are held; the County-City Building at 930 Tacoma Ave S., Tacoma, and the Hess Building (probation and court resource center) at 901 Tacoma Ave S., Tacoma. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.piercecountywa.gov/101/District-Court.
Chris Gaddis, Superior Court Administrator
Misty Robison, District Court Administrator
Michelle Petrich, Tacoma Municipal Court Administrator