Road standards revisions coming soon
Amendments to the Manual on Design Guidelines and Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction were approved Tuesday by the County Council. The amendments become effective on April 1, 2019.
We are excited about these amendments as we believe they will further the goals of our Comprehensive Plan as well as help streamline our permit processes.
Changes that will take effect when the new standards are adopted include:
- An increase in the number of lots allowed on a local road cul-de-sac from 20 to 50.
- An increase in the allowed maximum length of a local road cul-de-sac from 700 feet to 1000 feet.
- A reduction in the minimum required right-of-way width from 50 feet to 44 feet.
- Four-way intersections will now be allowed for local road classifications in some instances.
- The allowance of speed humps as a traffic-calming measure.
- Changes to gate standards for private roads, residential sites and commercial and industrial sites.
For more information, please review Ordinance 2018-102s.